With the 2015 lineup (same as previous years), SF Sketchfest has managed to round out a fantastic comedy lineup with some bonus music offerings. Here’s a round-up of some of the noteworthy music events at the 14th annual SF Sketchfest comedy festival.
See the full lineup, and get your tickets, on the SF Sketchfest website.
Friday, January 23rd:
- I Made You a Mixtape, 8:00pm at Doc’s Lab: Popular LA Show “I Made You a Mix Tape” hosted by David Fickas and Brice Beckham is coming to SF SKETCHFEST. A collection of comedy and music featuring the likes of Ric Barbera, Eli Braden, Pam Cook, Rachael Lawrence, Liam Sullivan, Kirk Zipfel and more.
- Jon Benjamin’s ‘Night of Not Interested in Hosting This Show’, 10:30pm at Cobb’s: Jon Benjamin (the voice of “Archer” and Bob on “Bob’s Burgers”) does not want to host this show. But he will. Joining Jon are his friends Leo Allen, Andy Kindler, Eugene Mirman and musical guest John Roderick (of Seattle’s The Long Winters).
Saturday, January 24th:
- Invite Them Up with Eugene Mirman and Bobby Tisdale and guests Derrick Brown, Jon Daly, Morgan Murphy, Emo Philips and music by John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats, 8:00pm at Cobb’s. Invite Them Up was a long-running and super fun comedy show that took place at Rififi in Manhattan. It has since been resurrected for SF Sketchfest and the Eugene Mirman Comedy Festival. Eugene Mirman and Bobby Tisdale welcome their comedy friends for a night of great stand-up.
- Invite Them Up with Eugene Mirman and Bobby Tisdale and guests Derrick Brown, Ron Funches, Pete Holmes, Andy Kindler and music by John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats, 10:30pm at Cobb’s. Invite Them Up was a long-running and super fun comedy show that took place at Rififi in Manhattan. It has since been resurrected for SF Sketchfest and the Eugene Mirman Comedy Festival. Eugene Mirman and Bobby Tisdale welcome their comedy friends for a night of great stand-up.
Sunday, January 25th:
- SF Sketchfest & Noise Pop Tribute to Scharpling & Wurster: Tom Scharpling & Jon Wurster in conversation with Andy Kindler with musical guests John Darnielle and Bob Mould, 8:00pm at Marines Memorial. SF Sketchfest and Noise Pop team up for their very first joint tribute to celebrate renowned comedy duo Tom Scharpling and Jon Wurster, who will sit down for a conversation with comedian Andy Kindler and be serenaded by musical friends (and Scharpling & Wurster fans) John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats and rock icon Bob Mould from the Bob Mould Band, Husker Du and Sugar.
Thursday, January 29th:
- Keith Lowell Jensen Presents Session: A Jazz and Comedy Jam, 8:00pm at the Punchline. Celebrating Jazz and comedy’s long and storied history, Session features four stand up comedians improvising along with a live jazz band. Featuring Keith Lowell Jensen, Johnny Taylor and more.
Saturday, January 31st:
- SF Sketchfest Tribute to Christopher Guest, Michael McKean & Harry Shearer, 7:30pm at the Nourse. SF Sketchfest pays tribute to three comedy icons with (live in-person) Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer, who could also collectively be called either Spinal Tap or the Folksmen.
Thursday, February 5th:
- Imaginary Radio with Drennon Davis and guests DJ Real, Caitlin Gill and Sean Keane, 8:00pm at Stage Werx. The Imaginary Radio Program is a musical/sketch/variety show created and hosted by comedian Drennon Davis starring a cast of talented comics and musicians (plus a few very special guests).
Friday, February 6th:
- SF Sketchfest Tribute: ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic Moderated by Chris Hardwick with guests Garfunkel and Oates, Hard ‘n Phirm and Jonah Ray, 7:00pm at Castro Theater. SF Sketchfest is delighted to present a night of music, comedy and conversation with our SF Sketchfest Tribute to the inimitable “Weird Al” Yankovic (live in person!) Moderated by Chris Hardwick, this evening will include clips, musical tributes by Hard ‘n Phirm, Garfunkel and Oates and more, and a conversation and audience Q&A.
- U Talkin’ U2 To Me? with Scott Aukerman and Adam Scott, 8:00pm at Cobb’s. In anticipation of U2’s latest album release, Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) and Scott Aukerman (Comedy Bang! Bang!) come together as superfan Adam Scott Aukerman to discuss the music and impact of the band. Listen in as these friends cover everything from Boy to No Line on the Horizon, and reveal a little something about themselves along the way.
Saturday, February 7th:
- Bring the Rock with Greg Behrendt and the Reigning Monarchs with guests Garfunkel and Oates, Chris Hardwick, Natasha Leggero, Brendon Small and more, 10:30pm at Cobb’s. Greg Behrendt brings his wildly popular Bring The Rock show back to SF Sketchfest. The Los Angeles Largo staple gives comedians the chance to tell a story about a song from their past- sometimes embarrassing, sometimes sentimental, always funny- and then Greg’s fantastic band The Reigning Monarchs covers the song, often led by the comedian in question. It’s what karaoke should be.
- Jonah Raydio with Jonah Ray, 10:30pm at Cinecave. Join the boys from the JONAH RAYDIO podcast for a rare live event at LOST WEEKEND VIDEO! Jonah Ray with comedy and musical guests!
Sunday, February 8th:
- Princess Plays Purple Rain: Maya Rudolph and Gretchen Lieberum in an Evening of the Music of Prince, 8:00pm at Mezzanine. SNL vet Maya Rudolph and LA singer-songwriter Gretchen Lieberum are PRINCESS, a Prince cover band. The two have been singing together since college but it was only recently that the duo turned their mutual adoration for Prince into a musical project. And this time they will celebrate Prince’s classic album PURPLE RAIN!