Doc's Lab Opening Night

Doc’s Lab – San Francisco’s newest performance venue – opens this weekend at 124 Columbus Avenue in the city’s North Beach neighborhood. A joint venture of Christopher Burnett (Darwin Cafe), Charlie Brown, and chef Justin Deering (Cafe des Amis, 15 Romolo, Conduit), Doc’s Lab abides by the tagline “Cuisine, Culture, Community,” taking inspiration from the neighborhood’s rich history in literature, culture, and the arts.

In fact, the building that houses Doc Ricketts and Doc’s Lab (which is in the basement) has already played an important role in supporting the arts. The basement originally housed a dance hall, then the legendary comedy and music venue The Purple Onion, which saw the likes of The Kingston Trio, Maya Angelou, Richard Pryor, Woody Allen, Robin Williams, Lenny Bruce, and Zach Galifianakis perform. The historical themes here continue right on down to the space’s name – it’s borrowed from a character in John Steinbeck’s 1945 novel Cannery Row who was based upon the author’s close friend and marine biologist Ed Ricketts.

The plan is for Doc’s Lab to host a wide range of live entertainment including comedy, music, and literary events, and it officially opens Saturday night with Eric McFadden and the Clowns in Orbit supported by Andrew St. James, Scott Capurro, Joe Klocek, and Bunny Pistol. But you can catch a sneak preview of the venue tonight when The Sam Chase and Emma Nation get the chance to truly baptize the stage.

The Doc’s Lab calendar for the fall months can be found here, and full details on the first two shows at SF’s newest venue are below.

The Sam Chase, Emma Nation
Doc’s Lab
September 12, 2014
8pm, $10–12

Opening Night! Featuring Comedy, Burlesque and Music by Eric McFadden and the Clowns in Orbit
Scott Capurro, Joe Klocek, Reggie Steele, DJ Real, Steven Pearl, Andrew St. James, Bunny Pistol
Doc’s Lab
Sat, September 13, 2014
8pm, $30–35

[Editor: An earlier version of this post incorrectly identified the address of Doc’s Lab as 1911 Columbus Avenue. The building was built in 1911, but is located at 124 Columbus Avenue.]