Down Dirty Shake‘s second annual Milk Bar residency is primed and ready to go, so get psyched because this month-long party is going to be much more than just a series of rad shows. As part of the Milk Bar’s Wednesday tradition known as Milk Was a Bad Choice, each night of the residency will feature some of our favorite local musicians as well as some other surprises you can look forward to.
5. Food & Drink Deals: Each night, Beer Belly Pop-Up Kitchen will be providing cheap eats while Milk Bar satisfies your mid-week beverage needs with drink specials. Come by to find out what the “Down Dirty Shake” and “Spindrift” deals entail.
4. Free Tunes: A mixtape, appropriately titled Calcium Compilation Volume 2, will be available for free while they last. Curated by Down Dirty Shake’s own Kyle DeMartini, the comp will include one song from each band that plays the residency, so don’t wait until the last week to show your face.
3. Visual Stimulation: For a rounded sensory experience, each night will feature a hand-picked local artist and projections by White Light Prism. Among the colorful pool of visual aesthetes will be San Francisco’s Nina Theda Black, who has produced work for the likes of Brian Jonestown Massacre.
2. (Mostly) Local Favorites: Nine-year veterans in the San Francisco music scene, Down Dirty Shake put together five stacked lineups made up of their favorite local acts. With bands like The Electric Magpie, Lemme Adams and The Love Dimension rounding out each bill, the weekend officially starts on Wednesday for the duration of July. To top it all off, the Grand Finale on July 30 will be headlined by Western psych heavy-hitters SPINDRIFT, who are performing a live screening of their new film Ghost of the West, along with Down and Outlaws, The Spiral Electric and of course the guys behind the party, Down Dirty Shake.
1. FREE: Lastly, and let’s face it, most importantly, the Down Dirty Shake residency is absolutely, 100% (with the exception of the finale) free! But you have to RSVP, so keep an eye on the Facebook event page for the link each week. To catch tomorrow’s show for free, RSVP here, but not before taking a look at the complete schedule below so you can plan your month accordingly.